Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 8100
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2001 11:58:50
jmcneill@invisible.yi.org ("Jared D. McNeill") writes:

>> > anyone with experience on running NetBSD on Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop?
>> > Are Dell's internal 10/100 NICs and soundcard interfaces supported?

>A quick search on google suggests that it comes with an ESS Maestro 3i.
>Assuming it's anywhere close to the Maestro 3 (and I'm willing to bet that
>it is), I have a driver that will make it work.

It should have the same sound hardware as a Dell Inspiron 8000 where
Jared's driver does work :)

The internal 10/100 NIC is a fxp interface that should work without
a problem (it does in the Inspiron 8000). The internal modem is a WinModem...

The _graphics card_ is a GeForce2 Go. The support for this chipset
in XFree is pretty limited, in particular the 'nv' driver does not
support digital LCDs which makes it almost useless on a Laptop with
GeForce hardware. The 'vesa' driver might work. It supports 1280x1024
on a Inspiron 8000 but not 1600x1200 (probably a bug in the VESA BIOS).

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de