Subject: Re: Pentium or Pentium II?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2001 01:36:36
> : (My oldest brother is a doctor, not a computer guy.  I haven't (yet) asked
> : him if the repair people possibly told him that they were replacing the
> : CPU with a Pentium,
>
> Pentium and Pentium II models aren't compatible in that way.  There are
> "upgrade" processors to take a Pentium Pro (the first 686-class CPU) to P-II
> level, but you can't do that with a plain Pentium system.  At least, I
> haven't seen any system (desktop or mobile) capable of using either type of
> CPU....

Well, I kind of had in mind that they might have swapped in a Pentium
system board.  (I think that on at least one occasion, there was smoke
coming out of the laptop, if I was told correctly.  They presumably
swapped the board out...)

I just wasn't sure if there might be some explanation that doesn't involve
a swap or mis-labeling.

Thanks.