Subject: Re: nfs - export file
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2001 14:43:57
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> Then why do we offer the difference between exporting a directory and
> exporting -alldirs?  (I have to agree with Greg Woods on this point; either
> offer no option, or offer all options.)

Historical cruft, I'd say. Even our exports(5) man page admits this:

  Note that the -alldirs option should not be used as a security
  measure to make clients mount only those subdirectories that they
  should have access to. A client can still access the whole
  filesystem via individual RPCs if it wanted to, even if just one
  subdirectory has been mounted

        - Nathan