Subject: Re: Opinoins on the use of "bioscall"?
To: Brian Clough <Brian_Clough@phoenix.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2001 20:41:55
It's prolly matter of how often you need to call the VESA stuff.
AFAIK bioscall(9) switches whole computer to real-mode and blocks
interrupts, this may incur serious performance problems if used
often. The VM86 mode doesn't have such issues, the process runs
as a common process and doesn't block other activity on the computer.

Jaromir

--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!