Subject: Re: Keyboard goes mad
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2001 18:15:21
Hello Andrew,

On 26-Sep-01, you wrote:

> So, my brother found a problem with the latest i386 snapshot.  Apparently
> /dev/console and /dev/ttyE0 are both "on" in /etc/ttys, causing problems
> with the first virtual terminal.  I don't know if this is related to your
> issue or not.

It's not related, I don't have that snapshot but the 1.5.2 release.
/dev/console was off and the /dev/ttyE? were on. I tried to turn ttyE0 off
and console on, but it did not help. Turning off all ttyE? didn't help also.

It seems the problem is related to PR #10471.
The diffences are that this isn't a laptop but a normal PC.
As the second person on the bottom of the report says this is a problem on
the console, without X. It looks indeed like autorepeat because the speed of
the repetition can be changed with the wsconsctl repeat delay settings.
He reports that it can be stopped by pressing a key, but this doesn't work
here.
Also it's not "sometimes" by everytime, so not even a login directly after
booting is possible.

When pressing a key (here 'r') it looks like this:

login: rrrrrrrpckbc: command timeout
rrrrrrrrr
rPassword:

More does not appear, but after some time it starts to beep repeatedly.
After starting "reboot" from a different terminal it starts again printing
r's until the reset.

I haven't tried to make a kernel with a longer delay in pckbd, but it sounds
at least promising. This was a hint to fix the "timeout updating leds" with
pccons when pressing Caps Lock. This is also a problem here, but otherwise
the keyboard works with pccons.

Bye, Chris

--
            __
           ///

Press any key... no, no, NO, NOT THAT ONE!!