Subject: Re: nfs - export file
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Grant Beattie <grant@grunta.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/27/2001 11:19:57
On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 09:06:48PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > Subject: Re: nfs - export file
> >
> > If the level of security is already trivial, and the demand for a
> > working, featureful NFS server implementation exists ...
>
> If the level of security is already trivial then there's no need for any
> features -- just export the whole filesystem and allow sub-directories
> to be mounted!
>
> LESS features are necessarly for goodness sakes!

In a lab, I agree.

Perhaps I should make it more obvious - I'm not complaining that
it's broken, but rather, that these fundamental features are available
in many other systems. If NetBSD is to compete in this space, the
features should be there, imho.

NetBSD is a production-quality OS, and for those who make extensive
use of NFS who may potentially switch to NetBSD, there are features
that are needed which are missing; low-level kernel/NFS
interactions/programming speak aside.

I use it for my own purposes - the limitation(s) are somewhat annoying
but I can live with them. In some real-world environments that is not
realistic.

g.