Subject: Re: SMP kernel patch
To: David <neko@linuxboxen.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/2001 14:22:51
> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 05:25:12 -0700
> From: David <neko@linuxboxen.org>
> To: port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: SMP kernel patch
>
> 	Hello, I'm curious of where I can find an SMP patch for the
> 1.5.2 kernell, or is it already built into the current kernel?

1.5.x releases do not contain SMP support.

NetBSD-current contains machine-independant SMP support, as well as
hardware-specific support for (at least) alpha and vax; a branch in
the CVS repository (not a "patch") contains support for SMP on i386.

For more information on NetBSD-current, see:

http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/

To build your own i386 SMP kernel, check out -current syssrc from cvs
or anoncvs, and then do:

        cd .../sys/arch/i386
        cvs update -rsommerfeld_i386mp_1

which will use that branch in the arch/i386 subtree only; then build a
GENERIC.MP or GENERIC.MPDEBUG kernel.

See arch/i386/MP-UPDATING for information about the last time the
branch was brought up to date with -current.

					- Bill