Subject: Re: NetBSD installation
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/2001 10:08:02
On 26 Sep 2001, Georges Heinesch wrote:

> But the best is Frederick's data (also an early posting in this
> thread):

I'd like to remind you, that this doesn't indicate a bug in NetBSD.
That partition table was "fixed" by PartitionMagic -- from the very
company that made the tool that's complaining about NetBSD's MBR.

> The BIOS reports 1022, and the EndCyl is 1023.
> How do you explan that?

It's my guess that this is secret code for "this disk is bigger than
the BIOS can support". The key to appreciating the significance of
this "problem", is to know that if your CMOS is set to "use LBA
support", the CHS values are never used for any damn thing anyway.

Did you ever try "fdisk -i" from within NetBSD? Usually, the worse
that can happen with that, is that you render the disk unbootable (but
you can still use a floppy bootstrap).

Frederick