Subject: Re: Keyboard goes mad
To: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/25/2001 13:40:22
On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 09:52:18PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:

> I have a simple PS/2 keyboard which works perfectly with DOS and Windows and
> is usable with the INSTALL kernel (reports a timeout when pressing caps
> lock, the LED stays off but the caps function works), but it doesn't work
> with a normal kernel (including GENERIC). When pressing a key it just
> repeats the pressed key and blocks further input.
> This all started when I removed the USB keyboard which I had connected for
> some days. I'll probably need to get another one to try if all returns to
> normal then.
>
> Anybody with an idea how to fix this?

Well, short term you can interrupt the boot and do "consdev com0" to switch
to a serial console.  A simple null modem (or "laplink" cable) is all you
will need.  Then you can boot single-user and edit whatever you need to.
Be aware that normally /dev/ttyE0 is enabled in /etc/ttys not /dev/console.
This will keep you from getting a login prompt on the serial console if you
boot multi-user.

-Andrew