Subject: Re: Console goes mad
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2001 22:05:46
Hello Lennart,

On 24-Sep-01, you wrote:

>> I noticed that the support for USB keyboards doesn't seem to work too
>> well, so I removed the USB keyboard while the machine was powered down.

> What was the problem with the USB keyboard?

Oh, there were several problems... :-)
It was a "Compaq Internet keyboard", I don't have it here to make some tests
again (had to give one of the keyboards away), so I'll have to write from
memory.

There were some problems seting a german keymap. wsconsctl only affected the
PS/2 keyboard, also when run by hand after booting had fully finished.
I eventually worked out that disabling the PS/2 keyboard in the kernel works
to get the correct keymap on the USB keyboard. However it fully worked only
for the console, under X the key with < > | (three fairly important chars)
was dead.

The keyboard doesn't work in sysinst: I does work for the bios and the
bootloader prompt, the install kernel seems to recognize it correctly (hard
to read because this is one of the last messages immediately before the
sysinst screen appears), but it doesn't work in sysinst. This is probably a
simmilar case as in PR #11061.

Removing the keyboard while the machine is on panics the USB driver:
PR #12366, it's IIRC not necessary to run X, a console should be enough.
I haven't tried with 1.5.2 again, but I think it's still the same.

The PS/2 keyboard always worked fine, except now...

Bye, Chris

--
            __
           ///

Just got a new car for my wife... Great trade!