Subject: Ramdisks often full
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/23/2001 02:24:27
Is it just me, or do we have a fairly high density of "disk full" messages,
on and off, while building i386 boot floppies?  I'd say that I get at least
one about half the time if I try to build a set of floppies for -current.

Most often, these occur while building the ram disk images.

One possible idea:  BSD/OS boot floppies have a separate "bsd.gz" and
"filesys.gz", by default, and the memory disk doesn't need to be of a
predetermined size.  This makes it easier to alter the boot filesystem,
and as long as it compresses small enough, everything still works.

In any event, given that the most-common cases (2-disk boots and 2.88MB
images) have lots of free space, maybe the default sizes of memory images
and disk images should be bumped a bit?

-s