Subject: Re: fxp media autonegotiation changed in 1.5.2?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
From: Tom Spindler <dogcow@redback.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2001 13:11:21
> Can you tell me more about what you're using with PXE?  E.g. Do you
> have a way to load arbitrary NetBSD kernels, or a boot floppy image?

We have our dhcp/tftp server send the i386 boxen a 'grub' PXE image,
which then grabs a list of kernels to boot from the tftp server. It
then loads the proper kernel and boots it (which then mounts / from
a Netapp, etc.)

The PXE loading is handled by the fxp card; it takes a long while to
grab the initial (grub) image but once it does, the kernel loads
quickly. The initial slowness smells like enet autonegotiation.