Subject: Re: best NIC to make samba server
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Kazushi (Jam) Marukawa <jam@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/15/2001 04:07:06
Hi,

This is a follow up mail about my old mail.  I checked some
configuration recently.  All NIC showed good results
although I experienced very slow file transfer time from
client to server old days.

Last time, I said best NIC card for SAMBA is Intel NIC for
me.  However, all cards look fine now.  Sorry, if you
experienced problems or bought Intel because of my old mail.

Anyway, my experiments are:

I made two files.  One is small.  The other is big.
Basically, I used RAID5 file system on a server.  I copied
files from server or to server through Windows client
machines.  PIII 933MHz machine is Windows 98.  PIII 700MHz
machine is Windows 2000.  Celeron 266MHz machine is Windows
XP RC2.  I also took transfer times to non RAID5 file system
to get brief idea about the cost for RAID5.  PIII933 and
PIII700 uses Intel NICs.  Cel266 uses internal one I don't
remember the manufacture.

The results are below.  All show good results this time.  I
used Aug 18 kernel and samba-2.2.1a from pkgsrc.

  Note: PIII933 shows slow transfer.  I'm not sure why.  I
    exchanged network cable and network card between PIII933
    and PIII700, but it didn't help.  Maybe, Win98 is a
    reason of it.

-----
For the case of small (25580544 bytes) file transfer:

Server: Cel550 Intel 82557 fxp0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C       13s       7s      7s
S<-C        5s       4s      8s

Server: Cel550 DEC 21140 de0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C       13s       4s      7s
S<-C        6s       7s      7s

Server: Cel550 DEC 21140 tlp0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C       13s       4s      7s
S<-C        5s       7s      7s

Server: Cel550 3c905C-TX ex0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C       14s       4s      7s
S<-C        6s       4s      7s

-----
For the case of big (260012032 bytes) file transfer:

Server: Cel550 Intel 82557 fxp0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C      139s      36s     68s
S<-C       88s      80s     90s
S<-C       70s      63s     78s  transfer to non RAID5 fs on the server

Server: Cel550 DEC 21140 de0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C      139s      38s     57s
S<-C       97s      94s     90s

Server: Cel550 DEC 21140 tlp0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C      136s      41s     73s
S<-C       97s      84s     92s

Server: Cel550 3c905C-TX ex0
Client: PIII933  PIII700  Cel266
S->C      141s      40s     71s
S<-C       90s      80s     89s
S<-C       78s      63s     80s  transfer to non RAID5 fs on the server

-----
For the reference purpose, what I got old days to copy 153MB
file is:

Server: Cel550 3c905C-TX ex0
Client: PIII450(Win98)
S->C       22s