Subject: Re: Very slow untarring on NetBSD 1.5.1
To: Bri <itai@replic.net>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/14/2001 17:59:57
hi,

are you using softdeps?  if so, there was a bug in the 1.5 softdep code
which could result in data corruption but made things much faster.
now that the bug is fixed, things are unfortunately slower.  but in
-current we've made other unrelated changes which make things much faster
again (the new dirpref algorithm).  hopefully the dirpref stuff will be
backported to the 1.5 branch so that 1.5.3 can be faster as well.

if you're not using softdeps, then we'll have to look for another cause.

-Chuck