Subject: Re: Installation boot diskettes hang, so do dosbooted kernels, including the generic-diagnostic
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/08/2001 06:03:58
from Bruce Anderson:

>It sounds like the kernel is loading, just hanging while
>probing some device.

>Could you reset your com ports and pull the wdc1 and scsi cards
>for the install? It might be a card or a device on the bus that
>the kernel is chocking on.

>If that fails Turn off L1 cache as a test.

What do you mean by resetting com ports?  Something beyond what happens when I
hit Reset button or power off, power on?  I think I already have caches turned
off.  I don't think there is a wdc1 card to pull.  Pulling and reinstalling the
SCSI card repeatedly is rather a tall order, remember there is a CD-ROM
connected inside.

OpenBSD 2.9 floppy29.fs diskette made it through the boot, and some of the Linux
kernels make it through, though not all.  If there were a hardware conflict,
OpenBSD and Linux shouldn't make it through the boot.  Now I wish there were a
send-pr to run under DOS, though I don't really know where the snag is.

Where do you get 1.5.2?  I don't think it's available for download yet.  I was
thinking about downloading a kernel for 1.5 to use with DOSBOOT.  Or maybe I
could see if directly booting the gziped kernel without decompressing does
anything better.

I remember OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 had an option to show each device driver being
loaded from CONFIG.SYS, so the user could see just where the boot was snagging.
OS/2 CONFIG.SYS is a whole lot bigger than DOS CONFIG.SYS.