Subject: Re: EISA network card problems - Fixed!?
To: Christian Groessler <cpg@aladdin.de>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/06/2001 21:09:52
Christian Groessler wrote:
> While comparing the NetBSD ep driver with Linux' 3c509 driver, I found
> the reason the NetBSD doesn't work:

Good spot!
I've looked at the Linux driver source and noticed the GO_WINDOW(0)
equivalent too, nice it really helps :)

> With this change both cards work fine. I haven't looked whether the
> reset or the setting of EISA_ENABLE is the problem, but the Linux
> driver doesn't seem to do any of them.

Please, try to find out which one exactly needs to be disabled. Also,
please try if longer delay would help - particularily,
the delay between the RESET and ENABLE (10ms seems to small for me,
try at least 1s (delay(1000))).

> I'd like to get this integrated, but I'm a bit concerned about the
> consequences. Are there people for which the current driver did work?
> Can they try this patch and verify that the driver still works?

Indeed. Might be that it works this way on different machines
than i386 with EISA bus, and i386 needs longer delay or something.
Also, it's possible that albeit i386 doesn't need explicit EISA_ENABLE,
other machine archs might need it.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!