Subject: Re: ENabling telnet and ftp access
To: None <psapprich@mindspring.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/04/2001 10:16:08
> I've recently installed NetBSD 1.5 i386 on a number of machines at work.
> I am having problems with telnet and ftp. I am getting 'connection refused'

First, you should make absolutely sure you have up-to-date patched versions
of ftpd and telnetd.  Stock 1.5 isn't good enough.
Go to http://www.netbsd.org/Security/ and check out NetBSD-SA2001-005 and
NetBSD-SA2001-012.

Once it is safe to enable those services, edit /etc/inetd.conf to make sure
ftp and telnet are not commented out, then send a SIGHUP to inetd (ps -ax
to find the process number for inetd) to make it reread the conf file if you
had to change it.

If they are supposedly enabled, then more details about your setup are needed.
Are you sure you're using the right IP address when trying to telnet to it?