Subject: 1.5.1 CD image kernel protection fault
To: NetBSD i386 users <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: scott worley <folokai@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/2001 12:08:02
Hi,

I downloaded and burned 1.5.1 i386cd.iso and the installation is failing
during kernel boot.

fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
isapnp0: no ISA Plug 'n Play devices found
biomask ffe5 netmask ffe5 ttymask ffe7
kernel: protection fault trap, code=0
Stopped in swapper at 0xc02a960d:  movl 0xc0363ae0,%edx
db>

sometimes it goes a litter farther and then hangs(this is the same hang
I get with 1.5.1 boot floppies)
biomask ffe5 netmask ffe5 ttymask ffe7
md0: internal 2048K image area
WARNING: old BSD partition ID!
boot device: fd0
root on md0a dumps on md0b
root file system type: ffs

The system is an Abit BX6 motherboard with:
PII-300 running at 266MHz
128MB RAM
Seagate 20GB UDMA on primary IDE
ACER 32X CDROM  on secondary IDE
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro
Yamaha 724 PCI Audio
SIIG Firewire PCI card, no devices attached.

Note, I installed FreeBSD 4.3 on this system with no problems.

I'm a BSD newbie and don't know what kind of debugging I should do next.
 Wanted to get NetBSD installed to start learning BSD for embedded work.

thanks in advance
scott worley
folokai@earthlink.net