Subject: Re: Adventures in Assembly Chapter 2 (Is this the last we see of our intrepid adventurer?)
To: Marc Tooley <sudog@sudog.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/2001 14:30:47
[ On Monday, September 3, 2001 at 02:23:01 (-0700), Marc Tooley wrote: ]
> Subject: Adventures in Assembly Chapter 2 (Is this the last we see of our  intrepid adventurer?)
>
> Success! On the first try! Perhaps this time, this is a bit more of a

Congratulations!

I haven't tried to do what you've done for over two decades now -- the
last time on a VAX-11/750 running UNIX 32/V (and the first time on a
PDP-11/60 running UNIX Seventh Edition).  That was back in my first year
of university.  Indeed my first significant assembler program was an
algebraic integer calculator written in MACRO-11 for the PDP-11/60 with
full handling for operator precedence and parenthesis.  It went about an
order of magnitude over-board for the requirements of the assignment,
IIRC!  :-)  I was probably one of the few students to own his own copy
of the MACRO-11 manual!  ;-)

Back in those days the binary format was much simpler (as was the
machine language!), and there were even documented ways to call most
system calls from assembler, right in the manual pages.  It looks from
your example that the problem has become a bit more complex, though not
necessarily that much so....

--
							Greg A. Woods