Subject: Re: Win2000 & NetBSD Install Help!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: BrownM03 <brownm03@bigpond.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/02/2001 04:46:28
----- Original Message -----
From: "Analysis&Solutions" <info@analysisandsolutions.com>
To: <port-i386@netbsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 3:58 AM

> > I used Partition Magic to create a FAT32 partition, then FTP'd the whole
=
> > NetBSD 1.5.1 onto a=20
> > c:/i386/binary/sets which is a NTFS (I don't know if it's NTFS4 or =
> > NTFS5) I have a Win2000 SP2

win2k = ntfs 5.0    (partition magic 5.01 req to resize)
winXP = ntfs 5.1

> Here's what I'd do
>
>   Part 1:  NTFS for W2K
>   Part 2:  Blank space where NetBSD will go
>   Part 3:  FAT-32 to store the binary sets
>   Part 4:  whatever...

exact strategy should/will depend on disk size
is there still a 1024 cylinder limit on the location of the /boot partition
?

Dont forget that you can put multiple logical drives in an extended
partition

> You don't need to create and then destroy/convert a FAT-32 partition just
> to get a NetBSD partition.

Just leave an empty space after resizing your other partition(s)

> Also, you can arrange the partitions in any order your heart desires.

i would be careful about that statement when windows is involved ;)

> FAT-32 can be read by both OS's, that's why the sets should go there.

(fast & simple FS, readable by MANY OS's)

> This is how I did my install.  Worked like a charm.

A network install from a 2nd machine is OFTEN the best/easiest choice.

Good luck :)

PS. Backup !!! :))
(you lose your mp3's and another potential netbsd fan drops off the face of
the earth :))

PPS. Windows is the first virus your machine gets :)