Subject: Re: Installation boot diskettes hang, so do dosbooted kernels
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/30/2001 03:30:29
>You say that it's an old machine; how much memory is in it? If it
>doesn't have much memory, you should try the -tiny install floppy
>and see how far that gets you.

- Frank

--
>Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com

I have 20 MB RAM in that Cx486DX2-S at 66 MHz computer, so
(Free, Net or Open)BSD should not be pinched for booting and installation.  But
I imagine Netscape or Mozilla would crawl if it would run at all.

>You could try disabling wdc1 in the CMOS settings. I have one
>computer, a 486 VLB, for which I have to do that.

>Frederick

I was going to ask what was wdc1, but browsed the NetBSD-INSTALL.html which I
saved as a DOS-compatible INSTALLN.HTM, and it appeared to be a secondary hard
disk controller.  But I have no such thing installed in the computer, and no
such thing shows in CMOS, so I guess I can't disable it.  Apparently Linux and
OpenBSD don't see this phantom secondary hard disk controller, maybe I could go
through the dmesg again just to be sure?

I downloaded NetBSD_GENERIC_DIAGNOSTIC.gz, if I remember the spelling and
punctuation correctly, to NETBSDGD.GZ, decompressed under DOS to NETBSDGD, and
might try DOSBOOTing that, to see if it lives up to the "diagnostic" in its
name.