Subject: Re: PermitRootLogin in SSHd (WAS: Re: Telnet logins)
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/28/2001 13:02:06
On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, David Maxwell wrote:

> > I don't see that as being of much consequence. The default security policy
> > doesn't start telnetd, either, yet it's always been our default policy
> > that, should you start telnetd, you cannot log in as root via the network.
>
> Not quite the same thing - as using telnet to login as root is only
> slightly better than writing your root password on the nearest bathroom
> door. ("For a good time, login...")

If you've found such an easy way to see through IPSec and/or Kerberos,
I'm sure everyone would like to know about it.

But to clarify, I'm not talking about just telnet over IPv4. I'm talking
about *every* method of logging in at *every* terminal not marked
"secure."

> Basically, I think the reason for denying root logins prior to ssh
> doesn't relate to the current situation - was it to prevent direct root
> logins?

Yes. I've said this before.

> (if so, why didn't NetBSD ship a default non-root user, and
> enforce the same restriction on the console?)

Because the console is marked "secure." In the vast majority of cases
(I'd almost go so far as to say "all," except I bet there's still some
guy out there with an 11/780 and a DECWriter console in the next room
who's running NetBSD), if you have access to the console, you've got
access to the machine itself, in which case passwords don't matter. And
it is rather handy sometimes (especially if you use yp) to be able to
log in directly as root on the console.

> - or to prevent cleartext
> root passwords on the network?

No. Running telnet without encryption, logging in as a non-root user,
and then doing an su will still send an unecrypted root password over
the network.

You really seem to be missing the point here, so let me sum up again,
and please attack just this argument:

    At terminals not marked "secure", the policy is that you cannot gain
    access with just a root password, you also need the password of a
    user authorized to become root.

Sshd as it stands breaks this. You're going to have to come up with a
good reason to keep this broken, or I'm going to fix it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org