Subject: Re: Software compiling
To: None <paolo.torelli@students.univr.it>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/24/2001 11:55:56
On Fri Aug 24 2001 at 10:58:43 +0200, Torelli Paolo wrote:
> Hi.
> Q:
> I'd like to compile the kernel and the packages optimized for my
> architecture (i686) avoiding the backward compatibility (i386-i586).
>
> Which files/settings do I have to modify to achieve that?
>
> I remember sometime ago a discussion (in one of the mailing lists)
> talked about something similar; I vaguely recall there were 2 different
> gcc settings (one to reschedule, one to tell the architecture), but I
> cannot dig it out from the archives.

here's what I have in my kernel configuration file:
makeoptions COPTS="-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro"

Having -march would be enough though, since it implies -mcpu. After
adding the setting, run config and recompile.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>          v          Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/             i            http://www.NetBSD.org/