Subject: System crash - partly solved
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Priebe <andreas.priebe@promos-consult.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/21/2001 08:49:13
Hi,

just to remind you:
I had a crashed Decstattion 5000/200 with a serial console, but
I was unable to do any input, although the output showed up fine.
I switched to kermit - and everything was fine :-)
(I will never again use HyperTerm !!! - although till this moment
it worked just fine ...)

Other attempts to solve my problem (which I will not investigate
further now) were:

Using a Linux PC to attach the disk. I got several hints to include
support for BSD disklabels and UFS support into a custumized kernel.
I tried this but never managed to read the disklabel.

I tried a NetBSD rescue floppy on this same i386 Pentium.
This recognized the disk fine, I was able to read a disklabel, but:
When running "disklabel sd0" it showed only the d partition, and said
something about finding 4 (!!!) partitions.
The latter sounds good, but I was unable to access these partitions
with a mount.
So the question remains: where have all the partitions gone?

But anyway, my data are back again, the Decstation is up and running
and I made a fresh backup :-(

Thanks for all suggestions,

Andreas
* Andreas Priebe                E-Mail:   Andreas.Priebe@promos-consult.de *
* Promos consult GmbH & Co KG   Tel/FAX:             030 243 117 -13 / -29 *