Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpads w/ NetBSD (or other recommendations?)
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/16/2001 11:10:59
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> writes:

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:17:41AM -0700, Kevin Lahey wrote:

> I need to buy a laptop for work (my employer is picking up the bill),
> and I'm still trying to figure out what to get.  The IBM Thinkpad X
> and T series look pretty good to me, but it isn't clear to me that
> they are completely supported by NetBSD.  Will the internal Ethernet
> and/or 802.11 interfaces work under NetBSD?  I've about given up on modems,
> but since I haven't used one in five years, I figure that won't bother
> me.  What about audio?

I currently have an IBM X20, and I love it.  The built-in Ethernet is
ex in my machine, but I think there is another version also. There is
no internal 802.11. The audio works (clct driver). APM also works. The
only things that don't work are a) the Winmodem and b) hot plugging
the docking station (no surprise).

Two USB ports, so that attach both an external keyboard and a mouse
without a hub is also good.

The only bummer that I've found is that there is no serial port on the
machine, so you have to either find a working USB-serial dongle (which
I havn't) or use the serial port on the docking thingy.

It also weighs a lot less than the T-series, which I find really,
really, really, nice. But if you want to carry around your CD-player
all the time you'll need the docking station and then there is no gain.

Johan