Subject: Re: IBM Thinkpads w/ NetBSD (or other recommendations?)
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/15/2001 09:39:04
On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 09:17:41AM -0700, Kevin Lahey wrote:

 > I need to buy a laptop for work (my employer is picking up the bill),
 > and I'm still trying to figure out what to get.  The IBM Thinkpad X
 > and T series look pretty good to me, but it isn't clear to me that
 > they are completely supported by NetBSD.  Will the internal Ethernet
 > and/or 802.11 interfaces work under NetBSD?  I've about given up on modems,
 > but since I haven't used one in five years, I figure that won't bother
 > me.  What about audio?

I currently have an IBM T20, and I love it.  The built-in Ethernet is
either an fxp or an ex, depending on which model you get.  The audio
works (clcs driver).  The built-in 802.11, I've never tried it (though
I hear it's just a pci-cardbus bridge + a lucent pcmcia chip), but
I think you have to give up the built-in Ethernet to have it -- better
off just using a card in a cardbus slot for that.  APM also works.

You'll need to tweak a few power-management options in the BIOS to make
it all happy, but once you do, it works really well.

I'm personally all gung-ho on IBM laptops, especially the T-series.  I
know a few other people who have T-series laptops, and they also love
them.  And you can get one (a T21) that's really well configured for
~$2,600 (that's 850MHz, 256MB RAM, DVD-ROM, 1400x1050 display, second
battery [UltraBay], 10/100 Ethernet, etc.).