Subject: Installation boot diskettes hang
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/14/2001 03:58:56
I tried to boot NetBSD 1.5.1 boot1.fs and boot2.fs diskettes, but the second
diskette hung.  Last lines were

mainbus0 (root)
isa0 at mainbus0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fif0
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fif0
wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
wd0 at wdc0 channel0 drive 0: <SAMSUNG PLS-31274A>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers. lba addressing
wd0: 1213 MB, 2466 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2485728 sectors
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1

Sometimes the last line didn't show.  Higher on the screen I got

[ netbsd ELF symbol table not valid ]
[ netbsd a.out symbol table not valid ]
[ no symbol table formats found ]

This is on my current old computer, essentially a preview, where I downloaded
NetBSD, but none of the packages/pkgsrc, in two sessions using a DOS-based
scripted FTP.  Modem is 56K on 0x2e8, IRQ 5.  CPU is Cx486DX2-S at 66 MHz.
RAM is 20 MB.  Hard disk is 1213 MB, partitions are (all primary):

1:  65 cylinders (just under 128 MB) FAT16 for DR-DOS 7.03, drive C:
2: 130 cylinders (just under 256 MB) FAT16, DOS data, drive D:
3: type 83 (Linux native, not formatted, not in use)
4: type 82 (Linux swap, not in use, 30 cylinders (?))

NetBSD would be installed in the space taken by partitions 3 and 4, which would
be deleted.

I have floppy drives A (1.44 MB) and B (1.2 MB).  I have Trantor T130B SCSI with
internal Texel 2x CD-ROM and external Iomega Zip 250.  Zip 250 is in doubtful
condition, appears on the way down.  I heard a click on the Zip 250 while
trying to boot the NetBSD installation diskettes, presumably meaning the boot
diskettes probed that port.

I have no documentation on DOSBOOT syntax or how to use, would that be better
than the diskettes?

Would NetBSD from installation diskettes get upset if the BIOS is not
Y2K-compliant?  If the year < 2000, computer boots with the correct date.  If
year >= 2000, computer boots into year 2094.  Last line of my AUTOEXEC.BAT is

DATE

so I always remember to correct the date when booting DR-DOS 7.03.  When I boot
Linux images with LOADLIN, Linux gets the correct date, which is not the case
when booting by diskette.  Maybe DOSBOOT would enable NetBSD to get the correct
date?