Subject: Re: compiling software
To: Joseph Sirucka , <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/13/2001 17:05:37
When you try to compile it, exactly what are you doing?  Are you using
pkgsrc (either SUP'd, or grabbed as a pkgsrc.tar.gz tarball, or similar)?
Or are you trying to ``compile it by hand''?

If you're using pkgsrc, it should all just work.  Of course, there are
sometimes problems when specific programs don't compile from pkgsrc for
some reason or another.  If possible, try to relate in more detail what
happens when you compile out of pkgsrc.

If you are trying to compile things by hand...well, it shouldn't be _too_
hard.  (Though in my limited (relatively) recent excursions outside of
pkgsrc, I find that often times you need automake/autoconf or similar
tools.  Unless you are familiar with just the right tools to use, it's not
immediately clear what you need to do in order to get the right files
constructed so that you can compile stuff.)