Subject: Re: SCSI controler support
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/2001 23:24:57

> Hi, I have fixed the sources from Tekram ftp site and made it work on my
> 1.5V box. If anyone have these cards (DC395/DC315) and want to use them
> under 1.5.x. Please fetch it from here http://members.tripodasia.com.tw/rxg/
> This driver seems to only be used on i386 platform because it use many
> inb(), inw(). But I think only PC users will buy these cards(they are low-end
> and low-price), so I not yet use bus_space() instead of them.

look at comment in /usr/src/sys/dev/pci/if_rtk_pci.c about low-end.
similar comment should be included in this driver! it's even worse.

> I will try to improve it later. Hope you enjoy it! :)

nice someone ported this driver to 1.5 and next!!!
i think it should be included in current sources.

anyway - use it only if you already have such card and cannot sell it for
reasonable price.

it's absolute s..t! it doesn't work reliably with lots of devices,
almost never works reliably with long cable (and 1 meter is long for it!)
or with more than 3 devices.

if it's only used to connect one disk, one CD-ROM or CD-R it may work.

it doesn't work with lot of SCSI tapes (tested 3, 2 of them were failing
under linux).