Subject: Re: compact flash card
To: None <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/2001 14:55:34
   "Ben C" <bensbrain@hotmail.com>  wrote:
    > mount_msdos /dev/wd1x /mnt
    >
    > You might need to create a disklabel before you try mounting the card.
    >
    > fdisk /dev/rwd1 in order to find out the disk geometry
    > disklabel -i -I /dev/wd1 to do the actual thing.

   I have lots of 8 and 32MB CF cards and they all work fine.  I have a
   128MB CF card that doesn't work fine.  It's strange.  It works on one
   of my laptops (I can mount, read, write, etc), but on my Jornada, where
   another 32MB CF card works fine, it just hangs.  Also, on another x86
   machine that has no trouble dealing with the 8 and 32MB cards, the 128MB
   card probes but any access to it ("disklabel wd1", etc) just wedges the
   box solid.

   I suspect it's because it's just some cheap crud card.

An 8MB Kodak CF card came with my wives digital camera.  When it is
plugged into a PCMCIA adaptor and into my NetBSD laptop, the kernel panics
trying to figure out the CIS information.  It is detected and works fine
under MS-WINDOWS 98 with the same adaptor.

We also have two 32MB Sandisk CF cards and they work completely fine
everywhere.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]