Subject: Re: compact flash card
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/10/2001 21:48:15
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > The CF controller "circulates" the write around the entire disk space to
> > prevent failing of one FLASH sector.  At least SanDisk CF manuals say so.
>
> excellent "PC-style" solution. instead of using some sort of flash
> designed filesystem the controller does lot of stupid job emulating normal
> drive and spreading writes.

So you'd rather we have to write write this special filesystem for NetBSD,
and all the other free OS projects have to devote effort to the same, than
we just use filesystem code we've already got? That seems a bit silly.

Why make everybody implement something multiple times when you can just
implement it once at a lower level? I think this is a much better solution
than a custom filesystem.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."