Subject: Re: booting netbsd
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/2001 23:09:06
Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> thank you very much. it's fairly important as booting netbsd through
> netboot EPROM is impossible now (tried to make bootable dosfloppy image -
> system reboots when started dosboot.com - probably overwrites floppy image
> in memory)

Well, I can't provide you with that information off hand, just
point to GRUB again :) Maybe somebody else could give you more details
on this.

I had really astonishing success using EtherBoot/GRUB combination
to netboot NetBSD. I've used EtherBoot rtk8139 EPROM image to
program the NIC EPROM, configured dhcpd and setup appropriate GRUB
config file and it worked :) [*]
The NetBSD diskless boot page will be updated to contain
necessary configuration information.

That said, it would be really nice if netboot[**]/EtherBoot could
load NetBSD kernel directly and the GRUB step could be avoided.
However, I think the GRUB solution is very good as intermediate step
to get things working fast. You don't need to go all the way down
of writing support code for Netboot if the GRUB solution would
suit your needs.

Jaromir

 [*] It would not be too hard to add support for RealTek 8139 to i386
     stand/netboot/, too.
 [**] I mean the project Netboot (that using DOS packet drivers for
      netbooting), not the NetBSD/i386 netboot stuff.
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!