Subject: Re: 1.5 Package on 1.5.1?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/2001 17:23:54
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hello David!
>
>   DB> If you are using pkgsrc you can just 'make package' in
>     > the appropriate directory, then copy the binary
>     > package(s) across to the other machine and 'pkg_add'
>     > them.
>
> That sounds fairly straightforward. Do I have to do anything
> to prevent the compiler from optimising for the chip it's
> compiled on (rather than the target chip)?

	Unless you tell it otherwise it will compile for the chip family
	- 386 to P4 will all compile the same binary package.

>   DB> I've compiled up apache and postgresql on an 8MB 386,
>     > running diskless (don't ask), so its really only the
>     > disk space issue that keeps your 486 from building
>     > itself :)
>
> I imagine that took a wee while.  The 486 machine's disk
> situation is a lot better now than it was, the secondary ATA
> disk seems to have about 150Mb of space, none of which is
> used at present. It isn't necessarily mounted where it could
> be of most use, but that's probably fixable.

	I have to admin I wasn't in a hurry :)
	You probably want to look at a custom kernel when you have some
	time - to squeeze some more out of the machine.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --