Subject: Re: laptop
To: Joseph Sirucka <joseph.sirucka@dodgyware.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/2001 15:49:25
On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:58:44AM +1000, Joseph Sirucka wrote:
> Andrew
>
> It runs on battery under windows 98, but not under netbsd. Is there
> anything to be configured. It tells me it can charge the laptop battery,
> but dosen't seem to hold it, nor be able to use it.
>
> Joseph

What brand & model is your laptop?  So just to be clear, if you power it
on when it is not plugged in, it will boot Windows 98, but not NetBSD?
Or if you boot NetBSD, it powers off at some point?

What do you mean by "It tells me ..."  It being the NetBSD kernel?
Do you have the output of the 'dmesg' command on this machine?

Perhaps your machine has something flakey with the BIOS APM / ACPI
support, you might try to update the BIOS to the latest available version.

The only time I've seen a laptop that wouldn't run off of the battery was
when the battery and/or laptop was defective.  Never because of the OS that
I booted.  I guess it is possible, but seems rather broken to me.

-Andrew