Subject: Re: AMD-760 support?
To: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
From: Kent Polk <kent@goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/06/2001 15:26:54
Jon Lindgren wrote:
> On 6 Aug 2001, Kent Polk wrote:
>
> > Does NetBSD 1.5.1 support the AMD-761 n.b. and Via s.b. equipped
> > (ddr) mboards such as the Gigabyte GA-7DXR or the Epox EP-8K7A ?
>
> Thor's comment at:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2001/05/09/0020.html
>
> seems to indicate that (I'm assuming he refers to NetBSD) NetBSD works
> quite well with the AMD 760 chipset.  Based on that email, I now have an

Seems so.

> FIC AD-11 board (amd 760 based) w/512MB of DDR, which I'll be loading
> NetBSD on in my copious spare time ;-)

About two months ago I loaded some 1.5.x on a Gigabyte GA-7DX which
has 761 nb and Via sb, but we were using scsi and I only had a few
hours to play with it. I also wasn't sure if support for the 760
chipset was actually in the 1.5.1 release. The 7DX was a tiny bit
slower with 1.3G athlon than an Epox EP-8K7A (with ata-66 drive)
under most tests we ran, which was a bit of a surprise. I understand
the GA-7DXR is a basically a different design than the GA-7DX though
and faster.

We had a lot of problems with the GA-7DX and 3com 3c905B/3c905C
nics. We finally dumped the 3coms and went with an intel nic. This
was with NetBSD and Solaris 8. Both had trouble initializing the
3coms, especially the 3c905C. Looked like a timing problem.

I'd also be running an adaptek 2940W on this proposed upgrade, so
I'm not sure how that would work out either. I'm running 1.5.1 on
a K6 with the 2940w right now.

> If you're interrested, I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Yes, I'd appreciate it. Thanks