Subject: Re: vmware suddenly crashing the system...
To: None <smb@research.att.com>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/01/2001 20:40:37
   vmware has suddenly started hanging or crashing my machine.  I had been
   running 1.5.1b2; in a vain attempt to solve the problem, I upgraded
   this morning to the latest kernel in the 1.5 branch, which identifies
   itself is 1.5.2_ALPHA.

   The symptom is that most user-level programs (including my window
   manager) go non-responsive when vmware is trying to sync its redo file
   (I use undoable virtual disks).  ssh from another host hung, too, but I
   could get a response from 'ntpq'.  Sometimes -- but not always -- I've
   seen TCP connection attempts from outside stay in SYN_SENT state (i.e.,
   it never got an answer from an interrupt-level function on the hung
   machine), but ping succeeded.  I've *never* seen that happen.

   At least once, the machine panicked, leaving behind the following
   mesage on reboot:

   Jul 31 10:56:45 berkshire savecore: reboot after panic: uvm_pagedeactivate: caller did not check wire count
   Jul 31 10:56:45 berkshire savecore: no dump, not enough free space in /var/crash

   I moved /var/crash to /usr, but (of course) I haven't seen that failure
   since then.

   The only substantive thing I changed between when vmware had been
   working and when it started failing is that I removed a 128M SIMM.  I
   had been getting sig11 during gcc compilations, which (according to ma
   ny folks) indicate memory errors.  I've seen no such failures since
   removing the SIMM -- which still leaves me with 256M -- but that could
   mean that the bad spot is now somewhere in the kernel.  (The IBM
   diagnostics haven't found anything wrong...)

   Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

This sort of thing has *always* happened to me when I run MS-WINDOWS 2000
in a virtual machine.

Basically, it appears that if things have to start to page that there is a
chance that the machine will hang.  I can almost always trigger this by
starting two vmware sessions at the same time.

And, for reasons that are not clear, when you shut down a virtual machine
that has been running MS-WINDOWS 2000, the vmware process will hang,
followed by the system.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]