Subject: Re: Dicing with disks
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/31/2001 09:38:06
> Hello!
>
> (yes, it's me again ;-)
>
> I've read the man pages for fdisk and disklabel a few times,
> but still don't have a very concrete handle on how to go
> about preparing a disk for use with NetBSD/i386.  I'm
> guessing that I have to fdisk, disklabel and mkfs in that
> order, but I'm flailing a bit to establish the right
> incantation for each.  The disk is a Conner 170Mb ATA drive.
> It has 902 cylinders, 8 heads and 46 sectors per track.  I'd

i always install/prepare disk manually (no sysinst) and when it is
netbsd-only disk i use only disklabel

after doing disklabel -I -i wd0 and installboot ....
one fdisk pseudopartition (for MBR
bootloader to work) is created like this:

NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
cylinders: 16383 heads: 16 sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)

BIOS disk geometry:
cylinders: 1024 heads: 16 sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)

Partition table:
0: <UNUSED>
1: <UNUSED>
2: <UNUSED>
3: sysid 169 (NetBSD)
    start 0, size 16 (0 MB), flag 0x80
	beg: cylinder    0, head   0, sector  1
	end: cylinder    0, head   0, sector 16

i don't know if disklabel or fdisk creates it but it works.