Subject: RE: NetBSD 1.5.1 GENERIC Kernel Crash with /tmp on mfs
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org ' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jenkins, Graham K \[IBM GSA\] <Graham.K.Jenkins@team.telstra.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/31/2001 16:11:07
I've replicated the problem on another box.  A few more observations:

1) Can also occur if /tmp resides on root partition (or anyplace else?)
2) Can also occur doing 'bzip2 -d' on large files
3) Still occurs even if more swap space assigned (e.g. 160Mb for 16Mb
machine);
    swap usage (as shown by 'swapctl -lk') never goes beyond 24Mb
4) Doesn't occur when using a custom kernel (GENERIC_TINY, with addition of
    XSERVER, MFS, UCONSOLE and some PCI network drivers - and omission
    of I686_CPU

In cases 1 thru 3, the console message is:
---
kernel: page fault trap, code=0
Stopped at      sw1+0x15:       movl     %eax,     0x4(%edx)
db> reboot
---
So my impression is that it's something in the GENERIC kernel - or perhaps
in I686-specific code.

Any more suggestions??

G.