Subject: Re: Still struggling with networking
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2001 16:14:33
Hello Andrew!

  AG> If your 'ne0' is working correctly these errors should
    > not be related to that interface.  You mean 'dhclient
    > -q ne0' right?

I meant 'dhclient -p ne0' (as in 'port'), but -q seems to
work too.

  AG> It might be that your 'ne0' is bouncing in and out of
    > the switch or something.  Look at 'netbsd -in' to see
    > if Ierrs/Oerrs/Colls is increasing.

'netstat -in' seemed not to be reporting any errors.

  AG> To get /etc/resolv.conf populated add this to your
    > /etc/dhclient.conf...

I've done that, thanks.  I have no idea what to do with
/etc/dhclient-script though, it doesn't look anything like
the one in the NetBSD DHCP HOWTO.

  AG> No, other than using a crappy ethernet card. :)

Probably a valid observation.  This machine has been cobbled
together with bits we had laying around (which is why it
lacks certain things, like a diskette drive).  Out of
interest, what would be a good choice of ISA 10Base-T card
for use with NetBSD/i386?  If I'm able to achieve 'proof of
concept' with this machine, what would be a good choice of
PCI 10Base-T card for its successor?

Regards,
  - Andy.