Subject: Re: vmware periodic freeze
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/30/2001 11:37:57
On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 09:23:32PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:09:38PM -0400, Bill Squier wrote:
> >
> > Thor and I are seeing this too, now.  Previously we used the very same
> > VMware images under 1.5.1 with no trouble.
> >
> > Whatever this is, it's related to running VMware under current.  It doesn't
> > matter what the guest operating system is-- it happens to me for all of
> > Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Redhat {6.2, 7.0 and 7.1}.
>
> It also has *not a thing* to do with CDROM probing, floppy probing, etc.
> by the VMware box as far as I can tell.  I rebuilt all my vmware configs
> without cd/floppy; same lose.

Okay, doing a tight while true; do ps -al | grep vmware; done, I discovered
that we're in wchan uvn_fp2 during the freezes.  Note that this is the only
time the freeze occurs, and they occur frequently (around once per 30 or
40 seconds for me), but not precisely regularly.

Chuq informs me that this is vmware waiting on a busy page.  Any clue why
this has manifested itself in -current?

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org

        I know I don't deserve another chance, but this _is_ America,
        and as an American, aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.