Subject: Struggling with Networking
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/28/2001 14:29:34
Hello!

I'm trying to hook a microcomputer with a fairly minimal
install of NetBSD/i386 1.5 to a small ethernet LAN and I'm
struggling a wee bit.  I've read "Basic NetBSD Networking",
much of chapter 9 of the "NetBSD Guide" and the "NetBSD DHCP
HOWTO", but it seems that things have changed somewhat since
these were written.

The LAN is connected to the Internet via a router that
performs NAT and acts as a DHCP server for the LAN.  I'm
sending this from another workstation on the LAN, so let's
assume that works okay.

I get credible looking output from dmesg, saying that the
network interface card is recognised as ne0.  I think that I
need to tell this NetBSD machine that I would like it to use
TCP/IP style protocols, that communication to the outside
world should be done through ne0, and that it should ask the
DHCP server for its IP address and other assorted
information.

Any pointers to relevent documentation, or other useful
suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards,                 "It must be Thursday. I never could
  - Andy Ball.                 get the hang of Thursdays..."