Subject: Re: vmware periodic freeze
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Squier <groo@old-ones.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/25/2001 15:09:38
On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:37:44PM +0200, Christian Groessler wrote:

> >> The NetBSD side seems mostly OK. The mouse always moves. But I have
> >> the impression that fs access is blocked during this freeze. I noticed
> >> it a few times in the past doing a ls in a shell terminal, but now
> >> cannot reproduce it.
> >
> >Maybe the CD drive was on the same channel as the drive ?
> >Currently a command sent to a device will hang the channel until the command
> >completes.
>
> Is possible. There are 2 ide disks and a scsi disk in there and the CD
> is on the primary ide controller together with a disk.

Thor and I are seeing this too, now.  Previously we used the very same
VMware images under 1.5.1 with no trouble.

Whatever this is, it's related to running VMware under current.  It doesn't
matter what the guest operating system is-- it happens to me for all of
Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Redhat {6.2, 7.0 and 7.1}.

--
Bill Squier (groo@old-ones.com)                          http://www.netbsd.org

        I know I don't deserve another chance, but this _is_ America,
        and as an American, aren't I entitled to one?  --Sideshow Bob.