Subject: Setting global enviornmental variables
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/24/2001 14:30:49
How would you go about setting an environmental variable globally in the
system? I am trying to globally set a variable which contains the netbsd
release version, ie. "1.4.1" etc.

I know that for csh users you could add 'setenv BSDVER `uname -r`' into
/etc/csh.cshrc, or alternatively into the .login or .cshrc scripts in the
individual users' directories, but that doesn't solve the problem. I have
tried adding a setenv to rc.local with no luck ...

How are variables such as MACHTYPE, OSTYPE etc. actually set? I can't find
any references in /etc or /root. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
 Stuart Brooks