Subject: Re: buggy OPTi pciide
To: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2001 17:44:58
On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Steve Woodford wrote:

>Ok, this has come up often enough now that I've applied the patch against
>1.5.1 to fix things for older OPTi controllers and built a set of
>install floppy images and kernels.

Thank you for your efforts, Steve.  These images however, are not yet
working for me.  I'm about at my wit's end, but perhaps you can help me
gather these datapoints into a coherent prognosis.

Last night I dropped NetBSD bootdisks into my only other i386 machine
and blew away its windows install.  I then proceeded to grab the source
tarballs off of ftp.netbsd.org and blew them out.  I patched the kernel
with diffs to pciide and built install boot disks similiar to the ones
you posted.  I was still seeing pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt messages on
boot and was unable to install.  So, as an exercise in narrowing things
down I then built a kernel using stock 1.5.1 sources which had pciide
removed so that it was using strictly wdc.  I still got the same
behavior out of my laptop.  Then, in a last ditch effort I tried booting
1.4.3 stock install disks off of the ftp site.  They boot flawlessly
without a single lost interrupt message!  I would have just gone ahead
and installed 1.4.3 but the install program didn't offer me any way of
configuring my Xircom CreditCard Ethernet device, which the 1.4.3 dmesg
did detect on boot.  Suggestions?

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
	- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"