Subject: RE: samba's smbd again
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2001 15:22:08
In message <20010720195842.OCRW5127.mtiwmhc25.worldnet.att.net@webmail.worldnet.att.net>
	on Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:58:40 +0000,
	oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> # /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd -D
> # /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd -D
>
> ...without complaint from NetBSD. But when I
> do this...
>
> # ps -x
> # ls /var/run/samba
> # nmbd.pid smbd.pid
>
> ...and when I do...
>
> # kill `cat /var/run/samba/nmbd.pid`
> # 348: No such process.
Then, there are some error which cause terminating smbd and nmbd.

In message <20010721020201.LZUH3707.mtiwmhc24.worldnet.att.net@webmail.worldnet.att.net>
	on Sat, 21 Jul 2001 02:01:58 +0000,
	oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> # pkg_add samba
>
> ...and samba installs, creating a
> directory or two. I see that this is
> Samba 2.0.7-ja-1.3. Then I do...
Though you should install newer samba package,

> # mkdir /etc/samba
> # vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> ...and put in this...
Newer samba package automatically create those directories, including
a lock directory "/var/run/samba".

Anyway,

> # more /var/log/log.nmb
> [2001/06/20 20:32:43, 1] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(757)
>   Netbios nameserver version 2.0.7-ja-1.3 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
> [2001/06/20 20:32:43, 0]
> lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(824)
>   Get_Hostbyname: Unknown host
Your machine can't resolve your hostname.

/etc/rc.conf		check hostname.
/etc/hosts		check hostname and IP address.
/etc/nsswitch.conf	check resolver should use.

Or DNS configuration if your hostname is resolved with DNS.  These
depend on your network configuration; is it private LAN or connected
to Intenret directory, and so on.

> Is it a NetBSD-ish "vive la differance!" thing,
> or have I screwed it up somehow. I am running
> NetBSD 1.5 from the Wasabi 4-CD set, and my pkg
> of Samba is from that set.
It seems that the probelem isn't purely samba's problem but basic
network configuration.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>