Subject: Re: samba's smbd
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/21/2001 13:39:19
You had better reply to mailing list, too.

In message <20010720152148.OHJZ13460.mtiwmhc22.worldnet.att.net@webmail.worldnet.att.net>
	on Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:21:46 +0000,
	oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> Howdy! I was on Okinawa once, but never got to the main
> islands. Kinda regret that. Anyway, you wrote...
Okinawa is one of good places to visit in Japan. :-D

> > What version of NetBSD you are running?
>
> I'm running NetBSD 1.5
IC.

> Yes, I did install via pkg_add as I am too timid of a
> newbie to try anything more adventurous.
And what version of package you added?

> > 1. Copy /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/nmbd and
> >    /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/smbd into /etc/rc.d.
>
> I looked, and for me, /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d does not
> contain either smbd or nmbd. So I did this...
Hmmm.  It might be depend on samba package's version, older had
different startup script, like samba.sh or samba in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d.

> ...and found only one of each, in /usr/pkg/sbin. So
> I did this...
>
> # cp /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd /etc/rc.d
> # cp /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd /etc/rc.d
>
> ...and checked that they made it there with...
Please remove nmbd and smbd under /etc/rc.d!  You shoudn't do it.

> > 2. Add those lines in /etc/rc.conf.
> >
> > nmbd=yes
> > smbd=yes
>
> ...I did that, except I put "YES" for "yes" since I
> saw prior examples of all caps "YES" in earlier lines
> of /etc/rc.conf.
It has no effect unless you have proper startup script.  Since you
couldn't find those startup scripts under /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d, you
should stop going to step.

Anyway I found your newer mail, I'll reply to it.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>