Subject: buggy OPTi pciide
To: None <scw@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2001 14:49:24
Hello,
I have recently been struggling with my Compaq Armada 1120 laptop.  I'd
like it to run NetBSD/i386 1.5.1.  I have only been able to boot it with
boot floppies which use wdc.  It has the OPTi 82c621 with one of the
buggy revisions in it that scw fixed in a commit to
src/sys/dev/pci/pciide.c on Wed Jun 13 09:55:25 2001 UTC.  In order to
install however, I need to be able to use the bootlap1 & bootlap2 floppy
images since the only install media I can use is my Intel Xircom clone
100BaseTX PCMCIA card.  The boot floppies which contain wdc like
boot-tiny.fs don't contain PCMCIA support.  After much scouring of the
mailing list archives I find I'm not the only person who's had trouble
installing onto a laptop with this chipset.  My question:  are there
install floppy images out there which either contain wdc & pcmcia
support or a patched pciide w/ pcmcia?  If not I guess I'll have to
cobble together a spare i386 box long enough to install NetBSD/i386 and
create custom install disks.  Either that or get a cross-compile
environment going on one of my existing NetBSD boxen.  Just hoping
someone had already done the legwork.

Thanks,

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
        - Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"