Subject: SuperProbe shipped with 1.5.1
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2001 11:00:38
Before I submit a pr, has anyone else seen a problem with SuperProbe
under 1.5.1? I did a clean install and SuperProbe fails to grok the
card:

SuperProbe Version 2.21 (12 October 1999)
	(c) Copyright 1993,1994 by David Wexelblat <dwex@xfree86.org>
	(c) Copyright 1994-1998 by The XFree86 Project, Inc

...snip snip snip...

WARNING - THIS SOFTWARE COULD HANG YOUR MACHINE.
          READ THE SuperProbe.1 MANUAL PAGE BEFORE
          RUNNING THIS PROGRAM.

          INTERRUPT WITHIN FIVE SECONDS TO ABORT!

SuperProbe: CONSOLE_X_MODE_ON failed
SuperProbe: Cannot open video

The version of SuperProbe in Havard Eidnes 4.03 snapshot works fine, as
does the 2.21 version from current 1.5V:

SuperProbe Version 2.23 (2000 November 28)
	(c) Copyright 1993,1994 by David Wexelblat <dwex@xfree86.org>
	(c) Copyright 1994-1998 by The XFree86 Project, Inc

... snip snip snip...

WARNING - THIS SOFTWARE COULD HANG YOUR MACHINE.
          READ THE SuperProbe.1 MANUAL PAGE BEFORE
          RUNNING THIS PROGRAM.

          INTERRUPT WITHIN FIVE SECONDS TO ABORT!

First video: Super-VGA
	Chipset: S3 ViRGE/DX (PCI Probed)
	Memory:  4096 Kbytes
	RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
		 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

Having changed hardware and tried a current kernel, it looks like the
superprobe shipped with 1.5.1 has not been compiled with some of the
NetBSD customisation set correctly

Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF