Subject: Re: Any caveats on non-Pentium CPU's?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2001 10:34:17
Hi,

On 19 Jul 2001, at 13:54, Rick Kelly wrote:

> The VIA chipset did seem to have some ide problems with NetBSD 1.5,
> but they seem to have been fixed in 1.5.1.

I followed the discussion about the 686a/b southbridge. There were some
suggestions, that not the southbridge itself caused problems but the
northbridge. Some DMA(?) problems seemed to occur, thus when using more
ATA devices the higher DMA utilization will show the effects of the problem
more often. I do not know if these problems have been traced down to their
source and a conclusion has been found, all I can say is that one board I have
with AMD north and Via southbridge has no problem here.

mike