Subject: Re: samba's smbd
To: None <oinkfreebiker@att.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/19/2001 21:53:02
On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:39:55PM +0000, oinkfreebiker@att.net wrote:
> Can't get smbd running...
>
> My /etc/smb.conf reads ...
>
> [global]
>   workgroup = WORKGROUP
>   server string = Samba server
>
> [homes]
>   guest ok = no
>   read only = no
>
> ....as/per Sambas simplest example in the How-To. And my
> file /etc/inetd.conf has these lines added...
>
> netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/pkg/sbin/smbd
> smbd
> netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd nmbd
>
> ....without the line-break (e-mail window size) on smbd's
> line...
>
> But I do...
>
> # ps -aux | grep mbd
>
> ....and get a listing for "nmbd" but not "smbd". I have
> also done...
>
> kill -HUP 191
>
> ....where 191 is the PID for "inetd" as reported by...
>
> # ps -aux
>
> ....I have also rebooted, repeatedly, and still the same.
>
> Any ideas on what's wrong with my smbd?

inetd will start these programs only when a client request it. So it's not
enouth to have them in inetd.conf, you should also have a client trying to
use it.

BTW it's better to start nmbd from rc.local:
/usr/pkg/sbin/nmbd -D

nmb is what will announce the machine on the network, so that you can see the
machine in windows's explorer. If started from inetd, it'll only start
when someone tries to talk with it - chicken and eegs problem.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>